What is the difference between Bodily Injury and Uninsured Motorist insurance coverage?

Most of us don’t think a lot about our automobile insurance coverage until something happens.  It is easiest to think of automobile insurance as a buffet.  When you buy automobile insurance you can pick from the buffet of insurance coverages offered by your insurance company.  You can choose both the type and amount of coverage that you want.


  • Bodily Injury Coverage – Bodily Injury or “BI” coverage is what is required by the State of Ohio in order for you to legally drive a car. It is the insurance coverage that pays for the other party if YOU cause an accident.  The State of Ohio requires a minimum amount of $25,000.00 worth of coverage.
  • Uninsured Motorist Coverage – Uninsured Motorist or “UM” coverage is an optional coverage. This is insurance you buy to protect yourself from uninsured drivers.  If you are injured by someone who doesn’t have automobile insurance, you can present your claim to your own insurance company under this coverage.  You can seek payment for your own medical bills, lost wages, and pain / suffering from Uninsured motorist coverage.


While the law requires you to only have Bodily Injury insurance coverage (to protect other people if YOU cause an accident), We always recommend that you purchase Uninsured motorist coverage if your budget will allow for it.  According to the Insurance Research Counsel, 12.4%, or nearly 1 in 8 drivers on the roads of Ohio are uninsured.  History tells us that most uninsured drivers do not have much money or assets, and are often uncollectible.  This means that even if you sue them and win, you are likely to never collect a dime.  Uninsured motorist coverage protects you from this danger.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *